A TRAVEL AND LIFESTYLE BLOG

Thursday, December 27, 2018

4 Things I Learnt Flying Solo


Flying solo is something I had never imagined doing. An opportunity came up for me to test the water of solo travel by flying out to meet up with family in Menorca. Not going to lie, the prospect of getting there all by myself was a bit daunting but the independent woman in me was determined to do it. Now I feel a lot more confident about the whole solo travel idea and may explore this more, but for now, let me share what I learnt from my first solo adventure. 

1. Be prepared & make a plan for travel 

Normally when I've flown by plane I have travelled with other people and you can depend on each other to make sure you get to your gate on time etc. But when you're flying solo, the only person you can depend on is yourself. Make a list of what you need to bring and plan out your journey every step of the way. That way you will feel more confident as you will know what is going to happen next and will have nothing take you by surprise. 

2. Research your destination 

If you are travelling to a new airport and country like I was, make sure you do your research before travelling. How far is the airport from your accommodation? Do you have transportation arranged? Make sure you cover all bases so you have no surprises. Even if you have been there before, check to see if anything has changed since your last visit. Don't assume it will be exactly like the last time you visited, a change in terminal, for example, might leave you feeling confused which could have been avoided with a bit of planning. 

3. Don't be afraid to ask for help

I had a coach pre-arranged to collect me from the airport but this was an independent agent with no links to the airline I flew with. I was unsure about where to head once I landed so I headed to the tourist & travel information desk in the airport who helped confirm my travel arrangements and navigate my way through the airport to right location where the coaches were based. This saved me from wandering round the airport wasting precious time and meant I was able to get on the air-conditioned coach a lot quicker, always a plus! 

People are quite friendly when you travel on your own. Everyone I spoke to was super friendly and helpful. Obviously, be cautious about people's intentions *watch the film Taken to know what I mean*. I found that on the plane, you will most likely end up sat next to a couple. Use the opportunity to get some advice and knowledge if the people you are sat with have travelled there before. If you are not in the mood to talk to anyone or don't feel confident, make general chit chat and then once the seat belt sign has been removed, pop on your headphones and zone out from the world.  

Another good opportunity to talk to people is in the toilets of the airport after the plane has landed. Ladies will know, there is always a queue for the toilets. Use this opportunity to make general chit chat, ask what hotel or resort people are staying in and you may make some friendly connections this way. You never know when this may come in handy. 

4. Be aware of your surroundings

Solo travel does put you slightly at more risk and being a solo female, can add to this. However, there are easy precautions you can take to stay safe such as paying more attention to your surroundings and being alert at all times. When travelling in a group, you may feel comfortable having a short nap whilst travelling on the plane, coach or taxi but when travelling solo, I advise you refrain from doing this so you know what is going on at all times. 

It's important to look after your belongings too, you never know who is eying up your phone or camera so be alert! This is a good time to remind you to make sure you have travel insurance booked for peace of mind. Don't forget to let family or friends know your movements during your travels and always carry your phone or portable charger with you for emergencies. 


Overall, I actually really enjoyed my first solo travel adventure. With a bit of planning, solo travel is not scary and is quite a liberating experience. It was a nice surprise to discover how much I can depend on my self and I came away feeling much more confident in my own abilities. Now I've got the flying solo part nailed down, I may consider doing a full holiday on my own one day. 

Have you ever travelled solo? Do you have any advice or experiences you would like to share? If you enjoyed this post, please leave me a comment in the box below.

Suzanne x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig